Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Commando Rebel - Day 16 of 35 days to 35

I loved the show "Friends". Loved it! Lots of folks bashed it for being unrealistic but I tuned in faithfully. Forget about the fact that none of them seemed to ever work and that they lived in the most diverse city in the country but you never really saw any people of color..it was great escapism TV. One of the last of a dying breed of really GOOD sitcoms. Friends gave us so many classic lines and I learned so much from that show...like how it is totally normal to have twins for your brother and his cougar wife and that it is totally cool to have a duck and a chick for pets (though I never did learn the real definition of "on a break"). Most importantly, I learned about going commando. I remember the day I saw that episode...and I remember thinking "people don't actually do that, do they?" Yes, they do. And I did. Today.


Now let me remind you that I am the rule follower. I believe things are made for a purpose and you should use them for that purpose. Underwear is there for a reason, to be worn. Why in the world would you not wear them? They are functional, practical and keep your ass warm, what's not to love? But this project is all about breaking out of my comfort zone, challenging myself, being a rebel! So today, my rebel ass will be bare!
 I woke up thinking about what was in store for today. Then I remembered that today is Tuesday. Shit! I have to teach today!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! So I am going to be standing in front of two classes without even a thong to comfort me and I'm supposed to act like everything is normal?! This is gonna be a helluva day. When I told Charlene what my "thing" was for today, she said that it would only be complete if I wore jeans for at least part of the day. That just does not sound comfortable. Jeans are hard, even the most broken in and comfy pair. So I lay there thinking of what jeans I would wear...definitely NOT my skinny jeans! But if I go too baggy then I'll really feel exposed. I realize that like most of these challenges, I'm going to have to just do it. So I hop out of bed and grab the first pair of jeans I see in my closet (thank God they weren't the skinny jeans!) and dive in to my commando day.


I have a few errands that I have to run before heading to campus so I head out with only one thought in my head. I DON'T HAVE ANY PANTIES ON! As I walk through Target, there is no doubt in my mind that my commando status is as obvious as if I were wearing a neon sign. And it feels weird! I can't remember the last time I was ultra-aware of every sensation below my waist. My jeans are scratchy and I feel so exposed. I'm so anxious to get to the protective confines of my car that I practically run out of Target. And then I realize I forgot like three of the things I went there for. Am I going back in? Not today!


I have a few hours before I have to get ready to go to campus so I get some cleaning done around the house, kill some time on Facebook, check email. About an hour passes when I realize I haven't thought about my commando status in a while. I actually forgot about it...I was comfortable. Didn't think that was gonna happen at all today. I couldn't help but smile. I felt like I accomplished a little something, even if no one else knew. Dorky, yes, but for me to quit obsessing, get out of my head and do something that I never thought I'd do is pretty freakin' cool. I realize I have done what lots of people do every day (and like it!) but because I was never gonna be the no-panty girl, I feel good. I feel kinda free, no pun intended.


It's time to get ready for my afternoon of teaching which means putting on my slacks. Well at least these will be softer than my jeans! So I get all done up in my "teacher clothes" and head to campus. I have to admit, I'm feeling kinda sassy. Feeling kinda naughty. Like I have a juicy little secret and I'm dying to tell it. Can going commando really put a little pep in my step and switch in my hips? I think so!


I think of my commando status while I am teaching, not because I am paranoid about it, but because I realize how it's affecting me. Today my students are treated to the sassy, spunky, yeah I'm THAT girl Darlene. I like this Darlene. Going commando has unleashed a whole new side to me. The freedom in my pants make me feel, well, free!


What am I doing wasting this audacious, confident Darlene on a class full of students who aren't even listening to me....I gotta take this girl out on town!

1 comment: